[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

port 443 and security

Is port 443 used consistently for authentication between server and browser?
I looked through 'some' server documentation but since I do not have either
of the Netscape server products in house I am not really familiar with the
expectations of the SSL or SHTTP mechanisms. I think (dangerous) that the
server acknowledges secure transactions on port 443 and that I need to pass
acknowledgement messages back to the client. Is 443 used by more than
Netscape (is it a proprietary practice or a multi-vendor standard?)?
     Opinions expressed are mine and not those of my employer.
Christopher L. Werner                Robert Bosch Corporation
System Engineer                      38000 Hills Tech Dr.
(810)553-1389                        Farmington Hills, MI 48331-3417